I baked some very yummy bread today and thought I would share the recipe with everyone.
Whole Wheat Bread:
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warmish water (not burning hot, but warm)
1/4 cup pure 100% maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 soy, rice milk, or almond milk
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup gluten flour
2 1/2 - 3 cups whole wheat flour
1. Mix yeast, sugar, and warm water together and set aside for about 10 mins or until the yeast is done growing.
2. In a separate bowl combine gluten flour, salt, and 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.
3. Once the yeast is done growing, add maple syrup, oil, and milk. Pour into bowl of flour and start mixing.
4. When it's nice a tacky start kneading the dough with your hands until it's all mixed together. If it's still too sticky add a little extra flour (no more then 1/2 cup).
5. Knead dough for a few minutes until it's nice and firm.
6. In a large oiled bowl, roll dough around until it's completely covered. Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside somewhere warm. Let rise 1 hour.
7. After letting it rise for an hour, knead dough again for 1-2 minutes. Shape dough to fit into a lightly oiled bread pan. Cover again and let it rise another hour.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake bread for 45-60min.
9. Once bread is done baking, remove from oven and let it cool before trying to slice it. (I'm usually too impatient to let it cool, plus I like fresh WARM bread).
I hope those instructions make sense. If you have any questions, just ask.
I didn't have time to bake my bread before I went out so once it was in the bread pan, I put it in the fridge and let it rise for about 4-5 hours. When I got home, it was done rising and ready to be baked.
Tired of the usual berry jam on your toast? Try this yummy MANGO jam I found in our local health food store. It has a more subtle fruity flavor and sweet, but not nearly as sugary as most jams tend to be.